droidsandewoks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6

5 posters

Go down

Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6 Empty Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6

Post  darth_sidious Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

Here are some great pictures of the cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6, from the Rancho Obi-Wan collection:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/swexperience/star-wars-celebration-6/august24/Rancho-Obi-Wan/images/CVI-Rancho-Obi-Wan-042.jpg

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/swexperience/star-wars-celebration-6/august24/Rancho-Obi-Wan/images/CVI-Rancho-Obi-Wan-043.jpg

I sure wish they released these - some amazing figures!
darth_sidious
darth_sidious
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6 Empty Re: Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6

Post  Chukha-Trok76 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:50 pm

I almost get upset by seeing these wonderful sculpts. both lines had so much potential. Unfortunately, the Star Wars craze was dying in late 1985, so sadly, these figures never made it past hard copy production. They never saw the shelves. I've seen many, many bootlegs on Ebay, and even a few real hard copies. Paploo, Morag, Weechee, and Chief Chirpa are the ones I see them most. It's really too bad about the Droids and Ewoks figs, although Vlix saw VERY limited distribution in Argentina. To this day he is the single rarest Star Wars action figure ever.
By the way, who's the chap in grey standing to the right of Bondo on the second row. i've never seen him before.
Chukha-Trok76
Chukha-Trok76

Back to top Go down

Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6 Empty Re: Cancelled Droids and Ewoks vintage figures at Celebration 6

Post  James Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

That's Admiral Screed. Beautiful pictures! I remember always wanting a figure of Mungo Baobab back when Droids was first airing. I had Thall Joben and Jann Tosh, and wondered why there never was a figure of Mungo. I didn't know at that point that the line was dead. Too bad he will never be in my Droids collection.
James
James
Founder
Founder

https://droidsandewoks.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  thegreatheep Sat 01 Sep 2012, 4:50 pm

Great pics. - Thanks for the post! I did collect some of the Droids & Ewoks figures back in the day, but it's true the SW line was fading away at that point, and these toys had the misfortune to be released at the tail end of 1980's SW popularity.

The evil Admiral Screed has been one of my most highly-wanted figures for years, and this prototype looks fantastic. In addition to the figures that are shown in the pic., I would also like to see a Stromtrooper w/laser stick, based on the character's look in the Droids cartoon (in the episode(s) with Screed).

Though it's probably unrealistic to expect Hasbro/Lflm. to ever release a dedicated line of Droids/Ewoks figures again, the fact that this year we got Kneesa in the Ewoks boxed set @ TRU does give me some hope. It would be great to see boxed sets of Droids & Ewoks resculpted figures (based on these older figures, both released & unreleased); I'm thinking these would work best as store exclusives.

If this were to ever happen, I would especially like to see a entirely newly resculpted C3-PO to more closely resemble his thinner look in the cartoon; IMHO, the 1985 Droids cartoon C3-PO figure used the same basic mold as the Vintage OOT C3-PO figure (from 1978), so the figure didn't have that animated "look".

thegreatheep

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ_van_Zelst Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:58 pm

Chukha-Trok76 wrote:... so sadly, these figures never made it past hard copy production....
I have to correct you on this. All the Ewoks are also available in first shot form. Most of the Droids as well. Of Screed there is only a first shot head known and I think Mungo and Jessica are only available as hardcopy or earlier pieces.

- Alex

Ps. First post here, so hi everyone!
AJ_van_Zelst

Back to top Go down

Post  Chukha-Trok76 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:51 am

Oh wow! Welcome aboard Alex, we're glad to have you! I did not know the Ewoks and Droids second series made it to first shots. I'll bet they command astronomical prices on the secondary market if they ever show up there. I really wish Hasbro would pick these figures to slip in the modern line.
Chukha-Trok76
Chukha-Trok76

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ_van_Zelst Sun 07 Oct 2012, 5:07 am

I realy don't know if I would be exited if Hasbro came with new Droids/Ewoks after the uproduced line. If they do they have to be different and also support the likes of Kaibo Ren and Zatec-Cha.

When I looked for the name of Zatec-Cha on this site I saw many characters that I didn't know.

-Alex
AJ_van_Zelst

Back to top Go down

Post  darth_sidious Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:50 am

Welcome to the site - these unproduced figures are pretty amazing, and they will undoubtedly be unique collectibles until the end of time, because I dont think Hasbro will ever produce them with the same likeness. I wouldnt really describe any of them as 'available' though, because they are all in private collections, and rarely if ever are seen in auctions, etc - but you're right they do exist is various forms. We'll likely continue to get figures of some characters, but they'll be new sculpts in realistic style - such as BL-17, Kneesaa, etc...
darth_sidious
darth_sidious
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ_van_Zelst Sun 07 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

Availibility is subjectieve. If you have the money you can find a Vlix easily in a couple of weeks or months. The rest is a bit different. You can find a Bondo firstshot head from time to time (from The Earth find). The unproduced characters are being sold (also publicly) from time to time. If you contact the right people (specific collectors/dealers) you wouldn't have too much trouble buying one or two (if you want to spend 1.5k or more) within weeks or months.

In my dealings in Ewoks prototypes I found finding proto's for the procuced line more difficult then the unproduced, but fortunately a lot cheaper. Though I always realy liked my Bondo (which I sold long ago).

-Alex
AJ_van_Zelst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down